Дружелюбие, сострадание, сорадование и безмятежное наблюдение - брахма вихары

Автор Ассаджи, 11:59 08 января 2007

« назад - далее »

Ассаджи

Цитата: Константин С. от 13:57 06 января 2007У меня есть книга Э.Конзе «Буддийская медитация» (издательство МГУ, 1993, 144 стр.). В главе «Культивирование социальных эмоций» описываются типы личности, по отношению к которым йогину не следует развивать дружелюбие на начальной стадии медитации, а также типы личности, по отношению к которым ВООБЩЕ нельзя развивать дружелюбие. Ко второму разряду относятся: определенное существо противоположенного пола, а также умерший человек.
Как пишет Конзе, если развивать дружелюбие к определенной особе противоположенного пола, появляется вожделение (стр. 87, п. 2а).

Это из Висуддхимагги.

Лучше это объясняется у Махаси Саядо:
http://www.buddhanet.net/brahmaviharas/bvd019.htm
http://www.buddhanet.net/brahmaviharas/index.htm

При особом развитии дружелюбия к определенному существу противоположного пола может возникнуть страсть.

Дружелюбие развивается безоговорочно, без предпочтения какого-то одного существа.

Как пишет Махаси Саядо, вполне можно несколько раз выразить существу противоположного пола дружелюбие, без особого предпочтения кому-то одному:

ЦитироватьAs attachment of raga has a tendency to take place with vigour, metta should not be developed in a manner distinct from others towards a person of the opposite sex. However, transmission of metta for the purpose of gaining paramita and kusala for about four, five, or ten times appears not prohibitive.

А при развитии дружелюбия к мертвому не получится достичь джханы.

При глубокой практике важно достичь джханы, сначала при выражении дружелюбия учителю или старшему близкому родственнику,

http://www.buddhanet.net/brahmaviharas/bvd020.htm

потом к нейтральному человеку, и затем к врагу (если такой есть):

http://www.buddhanet.net/brahmaviharas/bvd021.htm

а затем все шире:

http://www.buddhanet.net/brahmaviharas/bvd033.htm

На основе метта-джханы можно развивать випассану:

http://www.buddhanet.net/brahmaviharas/bvd016.htm

Ассаджи

Досточтимый Ньянабодхи говорит о том, что любовь не привносится извне, а освобождается изнутри; это освобождение и самоотдача - "Чем больше я отдаю, тем больше у меня есть".

(видео на немецком языке)

Таким образом, практика метты - это столько создание новых умопостроений, сколько раскрытие сердца, с устранением препятствующих этому умопостроений.

Мысли о непричинении вреда играют лишь впомогательную роль:

"And as I remained thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, thinking imbued with non-ill will arose. I discerned that 'Thinking imbued with non-ill will has arisen in me; and that leads neither to my own affliction, nor to the affliction of others, nor to the affliction of both. It fosters discernment, promotes lack of vexation, & leads to Unbinding. If I were to think & ponder in line with that even for a night... even for a day... even for a day & night, I do not envision any danger that would come from it, except that thinking & pondering a long time would tire the body. When the body is tired, the mind is disturbed; and a disturbed mind is far from concentration.' So I steadied my mind right within, settled, unified, & concentrated it. Why is that? So that my mind would not be disturbed.

"And as I remained thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, thinking imbued with harmlessness arose. I discerned that 'Thinking imbued with harmlessness has arisen in me; and that leads neither to my own affliction, nor to the affliction of others, nor to the affliction of both. It fosters discernment, promotes lack of vexation, & leads to Unbinding. If I were to think & ponder in line with that even for a night... even for a day... even for a day & night, I do not envision any danger that would come from it, except that thinking & pondering a long time would tire the body. When the body is tired, the mind is disturbed; and a disturbed mind is far from concentration.' So I steadied my mind right within, settled, unified, & concentrated it. Why is that? So that my mind would not be disturbed.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.019.than.html

Прежде всего важно устранение недружелюбных мыслей:

"And as I remained thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, thinking imbued with ill will arose. I discerned that 'Thinking imbued with ill will has arisen in me; and that leads to my own affliction or to the affliction of others or to the affliction of both. It obstructs discernment, promotes vexation, & does not lead to Unbinding.'

"As I noticed that it leads to my own affliction, it subsided. As I noticed that it leads to the affliction of others... to the affliction of both... it obstructs discernment, promotes vexation, & does not lead to Unbinding, it subsided. Whenever thinking imbued with ill will had arisen, I simply abandoned it, destroyed it, dispelled it, wiped it out of existence.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.019.than.html

"Если порочные, неумелые мысли – связанные с желанием, отвращением или заблуждением – все еще возникают у монаха, в то время как он не занимает ими свой ум и не уделяет им никакого внимания, он должен обратить внимание на расслабление мысле-конструирования, связанного с такими мыслями. И когда он обращает внимание на расслабление мысле-конструирования, связанного с такими мыслями, ... эти порочные, неумелые мысли отбрасываются и стихают. С их уходом, уравновешивает свой ум изнутри, успокаивает его, объединяет его, и сосредотачивает его. Точно так же, как к быстро идущему человеку приходит мысль: "Почему я иду быстро? Почему бы мне не идти медленно?", и он начинает идти медленно. К нему приходит мысль: "Почему я иду медленно? Почему бы мне не стоять?", так что он останавливается. К нему приходит мысль: "Почему я стою? Почему бы мне не сесть?", так что он садится. К нему приходит мысль: "Почему я сижу? Почему бы мне не лечь?", так что он ложится. Таким образом, он переходит из более грубой позы в более тонкую. Аналогично ... монах уравновешивает свой ум изнутри, успокаивает его, объединяет его, и сосредотачивает его.

http://dhamma.ru/canon/mn20.htm

Недружелюбные соображения бывают незаметными, но если внимательно отслеживать реакцию ума на того или иного человека, то можно отследить и растворить их.

Отношения очищаются от наносных автоматических реакций:

"При этом, Ананда, у монаха, когда он видит глазом форму, возникает приязнь, возникает неприязнь, возникает приязнь вместе с неприязнью. Он распознает это так: "Вот возникшая у меня приязнь, вот возникшая неприязнь, вот возникшая приязнь вместе с неприязнью. И это конструированное, грубое, обусловленно-возникшее. Вот что умиротворенное, вот что возвышенное, – безмятежное наблюдение". У него прекращается та возникшая приязнь, та возникшая неприязнь, та возникшая приязнь вместе с неприязнью. Подобно тому, Ананда, как имеющий глаза человек, открыв глаза, может их закрыть, или закрыв глаза, может их открыть, – аналогично, Ананда, настолько же быстро, скоро и легко какая угодно возникшая приязнь, или возникшая неприязнь, или возникшая приязнь вместе с неприязнью, прекращается, и устанавливается безмятежное наблюдение. Вот что, Ананда, называется по Кодексу Благородных несравненным развитием чувств по отношению к видимым формам, сознаваемым глазом."

http://dhamma.ru/canon/mn152.htm

Ассаджи

Досточтимый Дхамманандо написал в Фейсбуке о традиционном методе развития дружелюбия:

"Ahaṃ sukhito homi, niddukkho homi...etc." It makes a substantial practical difference to the preliminary stage of mettābhāvanā whether the ambiguous verb 'homi' is construed as being in the present indicative mood (as unanimously recommended in the older Visuddhimagga commentaries) or the imperative mood (as innovatively glossed by Mahāsi Sayādaw in his modern commentary to the Visuddhimagga - a gloss followed by all English translators ever since).

Treating 'homi' in the Visuddhimagga's first person singular mettā formula as imperative yields the familiar modern translation: "May I be happy, may I be free from pain, may I be free from enmity...etc." Treating it as present indicative would yield the unfamiliar one: "I am happy, I am free from pain, I am free from enmity...etc." The latter, though supported by the pre-Mahāsi Visuddhimagga tikas, seems never to be met with in English translations from the Pali. In fact I have only ever seen it in French translations by Poussin and Lamotte of similar formulas in non-Theravadin texts.
The imperative rendering appears to lend support to mettābhāvanā as it is commonly – indeed almost ubiquitously – taught nowadays. I will call this 'neo-mettābhāvanā', as contrasted with the older practice based upon a present indicative reading, which I'll call 'paleo-mettābhāvanā'.

In the preliminary stage of neo-mettābhāvanā the yogi will typically be instructed to begin by developing mettā *for* himself. This consists in arousing a wish for one's own happiness and well-being, while repeatedly reciting "May I be happy..." and other such formulas. Having aroused such a wish the yogi is then instructed to extend it to other beings, starting with a revered teacher, then a friend, then a neutral person, then an inimical person, and then various increasingly expansive pluralities of beings ("all beings in this monastery ... all beings in this village ...etc. Or, "all beings in the east ... all beings in the west ... etc."). Note the underlying assumption here: that such a wish *can* in fact be extended to other beings; i.e., that a wish for one's own happiness and for the happiness of others are operations of one and the same type of cetasika, this in both cases being the mode of non-aversion called 'mettā'. This assumption seems to be quite widely held by modern Abhidhamma teachers, though it isn't entirely uncontroversial, being contested by one particular group – that associated with Sujin Boriharnwanakhet and Nina van Gorkom – who deny that any of the brahmavihāras can take oneself as their ārammana. I will reserve a fuller discussion of this question for another day, and for now will merely state that on my reading of the texts the Sujinites' insistence on the wholly other-directedness of the divine abidings appears to be true of compassion and sympathetic joy, but not of lovingkindness and equanimity.

To the preliminary stage of mettābhāvanā Buddhaghosa gives the name sakkhibhāvanā, literally 'witness-cultivation'. I don't have my copy of Nyanamoli's Path of Purification available, but as I recall he translates it something like "development of mettā using oneself as an example", presumably following Dhammapāla's tika in which sakkhi is glossed as upama ('illustration', 'simile').
In paleo-mettābhāvanā the phrases "ahaṃ sukhito homi" etc., being in the present indicative, are not used by the yogi to arouse a wish for his happiness but to direct his attention to some actually existing felicity that he presently enjoys. For example, if he presently experiences happiness or equanimity of mind, he thinks "I am happy." If he doesn't, then he adverts to his present freedom from bodily pain ("I am free from pain"). If he isn't free of pain, then he adverts to the absence of both external enemies and internal wrath ("I am free from enmity"). If there happen to be some enemies in his life then he adverts to the fact that at least they're not bothering him right now ("I am free from affliction"). But if it should happen that enemies are presently making a nuisance of themselves (for example by dismembering him with a two-handed saw, as in the Kakacupama Sutta), then he adverts to the only felicity still remaining to him, namely, that by not giving way to thoughts of wrath he is at least creating the causes for his eventual happiness ("I shall guard myself happily").
In each case the object is for the yogi to develop an appreciation of how the felicity in question is an object of desire for himself. He then develops mettā with this perception as a foundation: "As I value and desire, happiness, freedom from pain, etc., even so do other beings, starting with my teacher."

And so the essential difference between the two approaches is that in the neo method one begins by developing metta *for* oneself, whereas in the paleo method one develops it *upon the basis of* oneself.

Ассаджи

Цитата: Ассаджи от 10:06 02 сентября 2008
Досточтимый Ньянабодхи говорит о том, что любовь не привносится извне, а освобождается изнутри; это освобождение и самоотдача - "Чем больше я отдаю, тем больше у меня есть".

(видео на немецком языке)

Таким образом, практика метты - это столько создание новых умопостроений, сколько раскрытие сердца, с устранением препятствующих этому умопостроений.

Грегори Крамер говорит о том же:

(видео на английском)
http://metta.org/insight-dialogue-3/insight-dialogue/the-guidelines/